Sidevisninger i alt

tirsdag den 14. december 2010

December 2010 (II)








The above three are the most recent paintings of a subject that I find particularly difficult, a simple white shirt hanging on a chair. The lowest painting (finished fairly recently) is at this stage unvarnished (hence the strange mottling in the dark and mid-tones); but you get the idea. Choosing to do multiple versions of the same theme has really helped me go beyond my own established methods of description used to improve the composition, define form, volume and space. It's also gotten me past using certain comfortably, established colour combinations. The last two took about three to four months to complete and have about fifteen to eighteen layers of paint applied.  These works are made primarily to help me sort out a logical reality of  painting (that is to give a convincing believability to the picture.) And to get it right. It's hard for me to explain this more succinctly as at this stage it's a sort of thing that I'm feeling my way through - I'll try to come up with a more elegant way of expressing it in later blogs.



The above work is a quick 'almost' alla prima study of a vintage ladies' coat (from the fifties - I think).  Tidens Samling Museum in Odense kindly lent me for the creation of a body of works all based on material. The thing with alla prima (for me) is that when I hit a value properly, the painting seems to sing. And loudly. I worked out an indirect version a few months later that held together solidly, but this study seemed to have something else about it. Probably the quality of contrast in the shadows.








'And Then The Sun Came Out 
(15 Sidney Avenue)'
250mm x 250mm
Oil on linen on panel
2010 - Private collection

'All Our Dreams and Fairytales'
600mm x 400mm
Oil on canvas
2009 - Private collection


'All Our Dreams and Fairytales
( A Wolf With An Eye For The Ponies)'
650mm x 500mm
Oil on linen
2010 - Private collection

'Is This England?
(In Honour of Miss Clarke)'
700mm x 500mm
Oil on canvas 
2010 - Private collection

'All Our Dreams And Fairytales (To Have You)'
500mm x 350mm
Oil on paper on panel
2010 - Private collection

'All Our Dreams And Fairytales
 (Toodle Looma Looma)'
600mm x 4000mm
Oil on linen
2010 - Private collection

'And Then The Sun Came Out 
(Grist To The Mill)'
215mm x 215mm
Oil on linen on panel
2010 - Private collection



Finally, the latest tri-perennial effort to paint the Marmite jar - I can tell that there's a hesitancy about the whole thing. What you can't see very well from the image is how the paint's built up around the lights. I'm going to keep going with this subject until I can gain a bit more bravura in the paint handling. As soon as this one's glazed and varnished, the contrasts should hopefully pop. 



















Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar